My Charley Girl

My Charley Girl

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Clinic Visit

Well,, well,, we are one tired bunch of Smith's:) I suppose it was good practice for school starting tomorrow but going to bed at 1am and getting up at 6:30am kicked my butt today. The kids don't seem to chipper either and we've been laying around ever since we got home.

Thankfully Childrens was not a mad house this morning and we were only 10 minutes late this time. Charlotte was a little upset when we went into the EKG room but calmed down with distraction and counting the seconds the test takes. It is the easiest one but she still gets nervous about it, I suppose in her mind any of them could be an echocardiogram and she HATES that ultrasound machine more than anything. Dr. L'ecuyer did his usual exam of listening and feeling her liver to make sure it's not enlarged. Without the echo there isn't anything outright to show what condition Charley is really in but we all agree by her energy level and growth she looks pretty damn good right now:)

Alaina had her echo and was cooperative as always. I brought Charley in with us to show her how well Alaina did and that it doesn't hurt, blah blah;) lol. Charley could care less how "fine" Alaina did, and when I told her she'd have to have her's next time she said "NO I NOT", hahaha.. She was very proud of her sister and gave Alaina praises and high fives on what a "good girl" she was. The doctors looked over Alaina's results and said that her heart is now normal size. So she got the all clear which is always a HUGE RELIEF. Dr. L'ecuyer said she may have been anemic at some point which I guess can cause some dilation. I of course will still worry, and have my non-medical theories about how the year before we had Charlotte Alaina played soccer, danced and was very active and ironically after Charlotte was diagnosed we had the echo's which showed Alaina's dilation. Since then the kids have not done nearly as many extracurricular activities besides running amuck in our yards and now Alaina's growth has caught up to her heart size. Coincidence? I'm not so sure? However I am also very aware of my psychotic ability to worry whether founded on fact or not, but welcome to motherhood people;) It's like trying to maintain sanity at all times and let's face it add in a child with a disease that has a horrible survival rate and well, you might as well book our rooms at mental institutions now.

All in all I will re-register Alaina for dance and I will while gritting my teeth sign her up for soccer if she wishes. And then I will sell whatever I can to buy an at home defibrillator and secretly carry it to games like another CCF mom I know does.

Charlotte was fitted with a 24 hour holter, although this was not the standard before I guess now they will do them every six months to make sure she is not having any pacing or electrical issues that don't show up in the office. She is doing okay but a little more perturbed about the wires and leads than she was last time. Granted I woke her up out of a deep sleep this morning so she's kind of perturbed in general today, a nap would be great for all of us today I think:)

As usual at her last echo they were unable to estimate her heart and lung pressures therefore we will be scheduling her heart catheterization procedure for November. I as usual, am not looking foward to that. I know they are generally safe and there is little risk but obviously the more you have them, it seems your odds would increase of the risk factors. I know it will be fine but my stomach always feels otherwise regardless of what my head says..

So that's all I have for today. Tomorrow we'll mail the holter monitor back and I'm sure Dr. L'cuyer will email me when the results are back so I'll quickly update when I hear something.

The kids start school tomorrow, as do I. I have one biology course this semester but I'm looking forward to having a purpose again and being busy. I hope all of you have had a great summer, and enjoy the onset of fall weather:) I can't wait to start our cider mill tours and jumping in piles of leaves. Pumpkins, Halloween costumes (Charley is going to be Jessie the Cowgirl from Toy Story), and scary ghosts. Ahh, I can't wait:) Love to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment